Blueberry and Butternut Squash Couscous Salad
This recipe makes a delicious, colorful and healthy side salad or a meatless entrée salad. Or, add grilled or roasted chicken breast to the mix. It's your call.
1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
5 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
1 1/4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup raw couscous
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (or 3/4 cup dried)
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
3 cups baby arugula
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- In a large bowl, toss squash with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until tender, about 22 minutes; let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan bring broth to a boil.
- Stir in couscous, remove from heat and cover; let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork; cool.
- In a small bowl whisk together remaining olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine squash, scallions, blueberries, cheese and couscous.
- Spread arugula on a serving platter. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the dressing.
- Add remaining dressing to couscous mixture; toss to combine. Serve over arugula.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph are courtesy of the US Highbush Blueberry Council. Used with permission.