Citrus Shrimp and Spinach Salad
Recipe courtesy of TexaSweet Citrus Marketing, Inc.
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 Texas Rio Star Grapefruit, sectioned
2 Texas oranges, sectioned
2 pounds uncooked shrimp, peeled with tail on
6 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1 tablespoon julienned orange zest
3 cup spinach
Salt and black pepper
extra-virgin olive oil
- Flour mixture: Combine ingredients and set aside.
- Salad: Section grapefruit and oranges and retain juice in a bowl. Season juice liberally with salt and pepper to taste. Whisk in olive oil to form a vinaigrette (2 parts juice to 1 part oil).
- Drizzle vinaigrette on citrus sections to marinate.
- Preheat sauté pan over high heat. Dredge shrimp in flour mixture. Add 2 tablespoon olive oil to pan. Brown one layer of shrimp until golden brown, then turn over. Brown other side, and turn pan out onto cookie sheet.
- Add 1/2 cup olive oil to hot sauté pan. Drain pan juices from cookie sheet into sauté pan. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until light brown.
- Add jalapeño peppers and cook until soft. Add basil and cook less than one minute to crisp. Add orange zest. Season to taste.
- Arrange shrimp over citrus and spoon garlic/jalapeño/basil mixture over shrimp. Toss spinach with citrus vinaigrette and mound on top of shrimp.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 104; Total Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Total Carbs: 23g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 3g; Sodium: 823mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of TexaSweet Citrus Marketing, Inc.