French Green Bean Salad
Ideally served at room temperature, this simple French green bean salad is a great side dish for serving at buffet dinners.
1 pound green beans or haricots verts, trimmed
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup minced onion
1/4 cup French Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon dried herbes de Provence or 1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano and dried thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 plum tomato, seeded and minced
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the beans and cook 3 to 5 minutes, until bright green and cooked through but not mushy.
- Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with ice water. Drain the beans in a colander, then plunge into ice water to stop the cooking. When cool, drain well, let dry and cut in half. Place the beans in a large serving bowl.
- In a small skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the mustard, mayonnaise, vinegar, herbs, and salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle in the remaining oil and whisk until emulsified.
- Add the onion and tomato to the beans. Add the dressing and toss well. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Set aside at least 30 minutes to let the flavors blend. Serve at room temperature.
Makes 4 servings.