Fried Catfish with Tomato-Field Pea Salad
Recipe provided courtesy of The Catfish Institute.
1 small clove garlic
Pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup mayonnaise (preferably house-made)
3 tablespoon boiling water
Tomato-Field Pea Salad:
4 cups tomatoes (combination of heirloom and cherry varieties), in 1/2-inch dice
1 1/2 cups field peas (cooked butter beans, black-eyed or pink-eyed beans and/or blanched snap beans)
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves torn
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 U.S. Farm-Raised catfish fillets (about 6 ounces each)
Peanut oil, as needed
- For Garlic Mayonnaise: Rub clove of garlic to a paste with a pinch of sea salt. Stir in mayonnaise and 3 tablespoon boiling water. Makes about 1/2 cup.
- For Tomato-Field Pea Salad: In a bowl, combine tomatoes and field peas. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add basil leaves and drizzle with olive oil. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the Garlic Mayonnaise; set aside.
- For Fried Catfish: Pat catfish dry. Generously season fillets on both sides with salt and black pepper.
- In a heavy skillet, heat 1/4-inch peanut oil over medium-high heat until ripples begin to appear. Fry fillets until crisp and golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet; drain on rack.
- Serve catfish with Tomato-Field Pea Salad; drizzle fillets with Garlic Mayonnaise.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Catfish Institute.