Grilled Pork Panzanella
Based on the classic Italian bread and tomato salad, panzanella, this satisfying entrée salad is a fresh grilling idea—and a meal-in-one dish.
4 boneless pork chops, 1/2-inch thick
2/3 cup purchased Italian salad dressing
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 slices Italian bread, cut 1/2-inch thick
1 (10-ounce) package Italian lettuce mix
1 cup canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup chopped ripe tomato
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Fresh basil sprigs, for garnish
- Combine Italian dressing and balsamic vinegar; place 1/3 cup dressing mixture in self-sealing bag along with pork chops; seal bag and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or as long as overnight. Cover and reserve remaining dressing.
- Prepare grill with medium-hot fire.
- Remove chops from marinade (discarding marinade) and grill over direct heat for 5 minutes per side, until nicely browned. Remove from grill and keep warm.
- Grill bread slices 2 to 3 minutes per side until nicely toasted. Remove bread from grill and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Meanwhile, combine lettuce, beans and tomato in large bowl. Add bread pieces and reserved dressing mixture; toss to coat all ingredients.
- Evenly distrute lettuce mixture on 4 plates.
- Slice pork chops and fan one pork chop over each salad.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper; garnish with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.