Grilled Portobello Mushroom Salad
with Greens, Honey Vinaigrette and Roqueforte
Grilled marinated portobello mushrooms are served on a bed of baby greens, drizzled with a honey vinaigrette and garnished with crumbled bacon and Roquefort. (Simply omit the bacon to make this a vegetarian entree salad.)
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 tablespoon. champagne or white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon. shallot, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 (3 to 4-inch) Portobello mushrooms, cleaned with stems removed
1/4 cup bacon, chopped (or one ounce cooked bacon bits)
8 cups mixed baby greens
1/2 cup crumbled Roquefort or blue cheese
Snipped chives, for garnish
- For Marinade: In electric blender, blend honey, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and 1/4 cup oil until smooth; set aside.
- For Honey Vinaigrette: Whisk together honey and next four ingredients; whisk in oil; set aside.
- Brush mushrooms on both sides with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil. Place on indoor grill or in preheated nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook about five minutes, turning occasionally, just until tender. Transfer to non-reactive container, gill sides up. Pour marinade over mushrooms; cover and refrigerate two to four hours, basting with marinade occasionally.
- If using raw bacon, saute bacon until lightly browned. Remove to paper towels to drain; set aside.
- Remove mushrooms from marinade, then reheat one to two minutes on indoor or outdoor grill, turning once.
- In large bowl, toss greens with 1/3 cup (or to taste) honey vinaigrette. Divide greens equally among four individual serving plates. Halve mushrooms. Prop one half on the other on each salad. Divide cheese and cooked bacon bits among the salads. Sprinkle with chives.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe courtesy of www.honey.com; through ARAcontent.