Honey Tangerine Florida Stone Crab Claws
with Hearts of Palm Salad
Recipe courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.
3 pounds medium Florida stone crab claws, cooked and chilled
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup Florida tangerine juice
8 hearts of palm, fresh or canned
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onions
1/4 cup thinly sliced roasted Florida red bell peppers
1/4 cup thinly sliced roasted Florida yellow bell peppers
2 medium Florida tangerines, peeled and segmented
1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves
2 cups finely chopped fresh Florida spinach
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Crack claws; remove shell and movable pincer, leaving the meat attached to the remaining pincer. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, and honey with tangerine juice. Bring to a boil and cook until thickened to syrup. Cool and set aside.
- Slice hearts of palm into thin strips or slices. In a bowl, combine the hearts of palm, onions, peppers, tangerine segments, tarragon and spinach.
- Dress salad with olive oil and vinegar; toss until moistened. Serve salad in the center of each plate with stone crab claws arranged around the edge. Drizzle the honey tangerine sauce over all and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Serve extra honey tangerine sauce on the side.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe; 4 medium claws with salad): Calories: 499; Calories From Fat: 247; Cholesterol: 190mg; Total Carbs: 51g; Protein: 15g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.