Horseradish-Fried Oyster Salad
with Baby Spring Greens and Mustard Vinaigrette
Here's a terrific and unique entrée salad for the oyster-lover.
24 large shucked oysters, liquid reserved
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup prepared horseradish
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups plain dry bread crumbs
1 cup (3 ounces) grated Wisconsin Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 1/2 quarts peanut or vegetable oil for frying
8 cups baby greens
1 cup prepared mustard vinaigrette
1 cup peeled, seeded and finely diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon minced parsley
1 tablespoon minced red onion
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Assemble a three-step breading procedure. Place flour in one bowl. Mix horseradish and eggs in another bowl. Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan, salt and pepper in a third bowl.
- To bread oysters, first dredge oysters in flour. Then dip to coat in horseradish-egg mixture. Finally, coat completely in the bread crumb-Parmesan mixture. Repeat with all oysters. Let breaded oysters rest for 15 to 20 minutes before frying.
- Heat oil in deep kettle or deep-fat fryer to 350°F (175°C). Cook oysters 4 to 6 at a time in heated oil for 1 minute or until golden brown. (Do not overcook.) Drain. Keep oysters warm.
- To assemble salad, toss greens in 1 cup Mustard Vinaigrette and divide among 4 large salad plates. Place 6 fried oysters around edge of salad and drizzle each salad with remaining Mustard Vinaigrette. Serve immediately.
- For Mustard Vinaigrette: In bowl, combine all ingredients. Cover and let stand refrigerated at least 2 hours before serving with Fried Oyster Salad.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.