Insalata Bianca Appetitosa with Fresh Mozzarella
An elegant first course salad of thinly sliced fennel, juliennes of celery and romaine with thin strips of fresh mozzarella tossed in a mascarpone dressing. Recipe by Chef Roberto Donna.
1 fennel bulb
1 celery heart
1 heart of romaine
9 ounces fresh Mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon mascarpone cheese
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pinch ground white pepper
- Thoroughly wash and dry the fennel, celery, and romaine.
- Cut the fennel into thin slices, about 2 cups.
- Cut the celery into thin juliennes, about 1/2 cup
- Reserve 4 well-shaped romaine leaves. Cut the remaining romaine into thin juliennes, about 3 cups.
- Cut the mozzarella cheese into thin strips.
- Place cut vegetables and cheese all into a large mixing bowl.
- Place the olive oil, lemon juice, mascarpone cheese, mustard, salt, and pepper in a blender container. Blend until thick and smooth, about 5 seconds.
- Pour over the salad; toss to coat.
- Divide the salad, arranging on serving plates, using the reserved lettuce leaves for garnish.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.