Layered Tuna and Pasta Salad
Serve this delicious salad in a glass bowl with straight sides to display all the colorful layers.
1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (Italian parsley)
1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1 1/3 cups dry cavatelli or medium shell macaroni
4 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
1 cup chopped, seeded cucumber
1 cup chopped, seeded tomato
1 (9.5-ounce) can chunk white tuna, drained and broken into chunks
1 cup frozen peas
1 (2.5-ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- For Herb Dressing: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, mixing well; set aside. Makes 1 cup.
- For Salad: Cook pasta according to package directions, preferably al dente (firm to the bite). Drain; rinse with cold water and drain again.
- Place shredded lettuce in the bottom of a 3-quart glass salad bowl with straight sides or other similar serving dish.
- Layer the remaining ingredients in the following order: Cooked pasta, cucumber, tomato, tuna, peas, olives, and egg slices.
- Carefully spread the Herb Dressing evenly over top of salad, sealing to the edge of the bowl. Sprinkle with the cheese and green onion.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Chill salad for 4 hours or overnight.
Makes 6 servings.