Marinated Cheese and Tomatoes
A classic Italian first course salad of marinated cubes of mozzarella cheese, marinated sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, fresh herbs and red pepper flakes.
1 pound Wisconsin part-skim Mozzarella cheese, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
1 (8-ounce) jar marinated sun-dried tomatoes (with oil)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 cup olive oil
- In bowl, toss all ingredients except olive oil to blend thoroughly.
- Pack into 3 cup glass or plastic container with tight-fitting lid.
- Pour over enough olive oil to cover.
- Store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks, pressing down occasionally to be certain cheese and tomatoes are covered.
- Bring to room temperature before using.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: After tomatoes and cheese are used, any remaining seasoned oil can be used for sautéing meats, poultry, fish and vegetables.
Recipe courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.