Mexicana Chef Salad Patio Platter
A terrific Mexican-style salad that's a meal-in-one. The perfect menu idea for a buffet dinner fiesta.
1 (18-ounce) bag romaine salad blend
1/2 pound deli-sliced peppered or plain roast beef, cut into strips
1 yellow bell pepper, cored and cut into thin strips
1 1/2 cups peeled jícama, cut into matchsticks
1 pint grape or small cherry tomatoes, halved
1 1/2 cups Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups Wisconsin Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
1 cup black olives, halved
1 lime, halved (reserve half of lime for dressing)
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced (immediately sprinkle cut avocado slices with juice from half of lime)
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 pound deli-sliced smoked turkey breast, cut into strips
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
Juice from reserved half of lime
1 teaspoon honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cilantro, freshly minced
- Dressing: Whisk together buttermilk and salad dressing until smooth. Whisk in remaining ingredients. Chill while assembling salad.
- On a very large oval or rectangular platter, approximately 15 x 20-inches, spread salad blend into an even layer to cover platter. Starting on left side, arrange salad toppings in long vertical strips in this order: roast beef strips, yellow pepper strips, Jícama matchsticks, tomatoes.
- In center of platter, mound the shredded cheddar and pepper Jack cheeses. Then continue with vertical strips of the remaining toppings: black olives, avocado slices, black beans and finally smoked turkey breast strips.
- Garnish platter with canned jalapeño pepper slices and fresh cilantro sprigs.
- Place pitcher of prepared dressing near salad and set out salad tongs and a large serving spoon to allow guests to serve themselves a salad with desired toppings.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.