Niçoise Style Seafood Salad
Recipe courtesy of the National Seafood Institute.
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoon lemon juice or rice vinegar
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
10 to 12 ounces fish fillets (skate, cod, pollock)
3 medium red skinned potatoes, boiled and halved
12 fresh whole green beans, cooked
1 large ripe tomato
1 red onion; sliced
1 hard-boiled egg, quartered
6 black olives
1 tablespoon capers
2 flat anchovy fillets (optional)
- For Vinaigrette Dressing: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk; set aside.
- For Salad: Cook potatoes in water until just tender; then add green beans and cook several more minutes until beans are still crisp. Drain potatoes and beans.
- Poach fish fillets in simmering salted water. Cook 10 minutes per inch thickness. When cooking is complete, remove from water and set aside.
- Line plates with lettuce; place tomato, onion slices, potatoes and green beans on top of greens.
- Place poached fish in center of salad, garnish with hard-boiled, capers and anchovies. Drizzle with dressing.
Makes 4 servings.
*Or use bottled prepared vinaigrette.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Seafood Institute.