Panzanella 2 (Italian Bread Salad)
Panzanella, the classic Italian bread salad is at its best when fresh-from-the-garden, ripe tomatoes are used. Recipe by Chef Tim Tesch.
1/2 loaf artisan-style baguette, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 medium vine ripened tomatoes, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 small European cucumber, quartered and sliced 1/2-inch thick
1/2 medium red onion, diced 1/2 inch
1 cup basil leaves, julienned and loosely packed
3/4 cup (3 ounces) Wisconsin whole milk Fresh Mozzarella Cheese "pearls" or cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3/4 cup (3 ounces) Wisconsin Italian Fontina Cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons nonpareil capers with juice
2 small garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Place bread cubes on baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes or until slightly dry and just turning golden brown. Remove and cool.
- While bread is cooling, prepare vegetables and cheese; place in salad bowl.
- Combine vinegar, capers, garlic and salt in small bowl; whisk in olive oil.
- Toss vegetables and cheese with bread.
- Pour dressing over top and toss until evenly coated.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.