Pesto Potato Salad
A perfect side for fried chicken, burgers or hot dogs. Recipe by Lan Pham of www.angryasiancreations.com.
4 medium organic Idaho® russets
1/2 bunch organic parsley, washed and thoroughly dried
1/4 cup raw pine nuts
2 cloves garlic
Splash of lemon juice
1/2 cup good extra virgin olive oil*
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Optional Add-Ins: Diced red onions for color, capers or crushed kalamata olives for added saltiness
- Scrub the potatoes. Since they are organic, do not peel; the skin provides nutrients and texture. Slice lengthwise and cut into bite sized cubes. Place in a large pot, fill with cold water, just barely covering. Bring to a boil, lowering the fire to medium for a nice simmer. Cook potato cubes till fork tender. Drain and set aside to cool in a large bowl.
- For Pesto Dressing: Carefully pick leaves of the half bunch of organic parsley; reserve.
- Toast raw pine nuts in a small frying pan, careful not to burn, just lightly golden all over; reserve.
- In a blender or Vitamix, add parsley, toasted pine nuts, garlic cloves and a splash of lemon juice. Slowly stream in the olive oil until all is emulsified. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Fold the pesto into the bowl of potatoes; add desired optional add-ins. Mix well.
- Serve warm, room temperature or cold.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission.