Potato Salad with Caramelized Onions
Recipe courtesy of the National Onion Association.
2 medium yellow onions, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and ground black pepper
1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes
Boiling salted water
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill leaves or 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Sauté onions in olive oil in large skillet over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes until golden. season with salt and pepper to taste, cover and chill.
- Boil potatoes 20 to 35 minutes or until fork tender but not mushy. Drain and chill in covered container.
- Combine mayonnaise with dill leaves, mustard, lemon juice and sugar.
- Slice chilled potatoes and brush a thin glaze of the dilled mayonnaise over tops.
- To Arrange Salad: spoon onions onto plate, spreading into 10 to 12-inch round. Make overlapping circles of glazed sliced potatoes over onions. Spoon some of the dilled mayonnaise into center, and pass remainder in a small bowl. Garnish with fresh herbs or a few arugula leaves if you like.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 276; Total Fat: 15g; Cholesterol: 8mg; Total Carbs: 35g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 4g; Sodium: 287mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Onion Association.