Roasted Corn and Orange Salad with Horseradish
This salad is excellent served with grilled salmon or other seafood such as shrimp or scallops.
6 ears sweet corn
1/2 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1 red onion, peeled
1 red pepper, roasted, peeled and de-seeded
1 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted
1 teaspoon fennel seed, toasted
1/3 cup oil and vinegar dressing
1 lemon, juice only
Salt and pepper
1/4 cup (1 ounce) Wisconsin Asiago cheese, grated
- Husk corn and cook submerged in boiling salted water for 15 minutes. Remove corn and cool.
- Brush corn with olive oil and place on a sheet pan or cookie sheet under broiler at 500°F (260°C). Brown the corn on all sides under broiler. Remove kernels of corn from husk with a knife and place into a bowl.
- Cut red onion in half and slice into thin pieces.
- Dice roasted red pepper into small pieces and add to salad with red onion.
- Grate the zest of the oranges and mix with horseradish and add to salad; squeeze the juice of the oranges into the salad.
- Crack the cumin and fennel seed with a coffee grinder or knife and add to salad.
- Add olive oil, white wine vinegar, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss salad ingredients together and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Garnish with Asiago cheese.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.