Salmon and Blueberry Salad with Vinaigrette
Recipe courtesy of the US Highbush Blueberry Council.
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced in half rings
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt - divided use
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper - divided use
3 tablespoons olive oil - divided use
1 1/2 pounds salmon fillet, cut crosswise in 4 portions
6 cups lettuce leaves in bite size pieces
- In a microwavable cup, combine onion, red wine vinegar, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper; cover loosely with plastic wrap; microwave on high power for 1 minute. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until onions turn pink, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill or broiler.
- Brush 1 tablespoon of the olive oil on both sides of the salmon fillets; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Grill or broil salmon, skin side down, until just cooked through, about 6 minutes.
- Divide lettuce leaves among 4 dinner plates; place salmon in the center. With a slotted spoon, remove onions from vinegar (reserve vinegar); scatter onions, along with the blueberries, over and around the fish.
- Whisk remaining 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into the reserved vinegar mixture; drizzle vinaigrette over salmon.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 343; Total Fat: 17g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Total Carbs: 10g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 36g; Sodium: 563mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the US Highbush Blueberry Council. Used with permission.