Spinach Salad with Grapes & Pancetta
Wilted spinach salad with grapes, thinly sliced red onions, crisp pancetta and pine nuts tossed in a balsamic vinaigrette.
2 bunches (10 ounces) spinach leaves, washed and dried
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
1/2 cup (4 ounces) pancetta or bacon
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup red onions, thinly sliced (about 1/4 medium onion)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) Parmesan cheese, shaved or grated
- Place spinach in large bowl, set aside. In small bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In large sauté pan, cook pancetta over medium-high heat until almost crisp, about 5 to 7 minutes. Do not drain fat.
- Add pine nuts and cook, stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
- Add grapes and red onions; continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add balsamic dressing and bring to a boil, about 30 seconds. Turn off heat and pour hot dressing over spinach. Toss quickly to coat leaves. Salad should be barely warm.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan shavings and serve.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of California Table Grape Commission.