Spinach Salad with Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
Recipe from the book Cholesterol Down by Janet Bond Brill, Ph.D., R.D., LDN.
4 cups washed spinach leaves, preferably organically grown
2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
2 large portobello mushrooms
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Balsamic glaze (available commercially such as Gia Russa from Italy)
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Chop spinach into small pieces and divide spinach between two salad plates. Top each with chopped tomatoes.
- Wash and dry mushrooms, removing stems.
- In a small pot, heat olive oil and sauté garlic with lemon juice, salt, and pepper until garlic is browned.
- Brush mushroom caps (both sides) generously with olive oil mixture.
- Grill mushrooms over medium heat, stem side down, for about 8 minutes. Turn and grill tops for 6 to 8 minutes more. The mushrooms should be browned and tender.
- Remove from grill, cut into quarters, and arrange over spinach salad. Add seasoning to taste. Drizzle salad with balsamic glaze and serve.
Makes 2 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/2 of recipe): Calories: 220, Fat: 15 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 236 mg, Carbohydrate: 21 g, Dietary Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 7 g, Protein: 5 g.
Copyright © 2006 Janet Brill, PH.D.
Recipe Source: An excerpt from the book Cholesterol Down by Janet Bond Brill, Ph.D., R.D., LDN; Published by Three Rivers Press; December 2006;$13.95US/$17.95CAN; 978-0-307-33911-9 Copyright © 2006 Janet Brill, Ph.D.