Springtime Salad with Maple Vinaigrette
Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.
3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons tarragon flavored wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup canola oil
1 (5-ounce) package mesclun lettuce
12 strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds, toasted
1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- For Maple Vinaigrette: In a small bowl whisk maple syrup, vinegar, tarragon and salt. While whisking, slowly drizzle in canola oil. Set aside for at least 1 hour Store in a covered jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Shake well before drizzling over salad.
- To toast sunflower seeds, spread seeds in single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F (175°C) for 6 to 10 minutes, shaking the pan frequently, until lightly browned. Seeds darken upon cooling.
- Using 4 individual salad plates or bowls, divide the mesclun evenly. Top each with 1/4 of the strawberries, sunflower seeds and pecans. Serve drizzled with Maple Vinaigrette.
Makes 4 servings.
- To toast sunflower seeds in microwave, spread in single layer on microwavable plate and microwave on HIGH for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
- To make into a dinner salad, top with julienne strips of roast beef.
- Substitute mango cubes, mandarin orange section or Clementines for the strawberries.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 300; Total Fat: 25g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Total Carbs: 18g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 4g; Sodium: 160mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.