Swiss and Broccoli Salad
A savory lemon and beef consommé gelatin salad with crisp-tender broccoli and shredded Swiss cheese.
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli
1 (10.5-ounce) can beef consommé
1 1/2 (0.25-ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon tarragon-flavored wine vinegar
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Cook the broccoli until crisp-tender. Drain.
- In a small saucepan, bring the consommé to a boil. Set aside.
- Add the gelatin to the cold water and soften.
- Add the gelatin, lemon juice, and vinegar to the hot consommé. Stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Chill until the mixture is of a syrupy consistency.
- Once the gelatin-consommé mixture has chilled, remove from the refrigerator and beat with electric mixer until frothy.
- Add the mayonnaise and beat until smooth.
- Fold in the Swiss cheese and broccoli.
- Pour into a lightly oiled 3-cup mold. Chill until firm.
- Unmold and garnish as desired for serving.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.