Turkey Apple Pecan Salad
Recipe kindly provided by Director of Operations Julie Bergerson of Rosti Tuscan Kitchen in California.
Sugar Glazed Pecans:
3/4 cup large pecan halves
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup dry red wine
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 large green tart apples, peeled, cored and julienned
1 pound young arugula leaves, washed, dried and chilled
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
6 cups cooked turkey breast, cut to 1/2-inch dice
- For Sugar Glazed Pecans: Place pecans in a preheated 325°F (160°C) oven for 5 minutes
- Melt sugar in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add pecans when melted sugar is light brown in color.
- Stir to coat pecans and heat until they reach a golden brown. Turn heat off if sugar becomes too dark.
- Place on tray to cool, stirring occasionally.
- For Balsamic Vinaigrette: Combine red wine, Dijon, salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar.
- Very slowly add extra virgin olive oil and whip until thoroughly blended. Taste and adjust seasoning with additional Salt and ground black pepper.
- For Salad: Peel, core and julienne apples (can toss with tablespoon of lemon juice to retard browning).
- Per Plate Serving: Toss 2 cup arugula, 1 teaspoon sage and 1 cup diced turkey with 2 ounces Balsamic Vinaigrette. Transfer to salad bowl.
- Arrange julienned apple strips atop mixture.
- Sprinkle top of each salad with 2 tablespoons sugar glazed pecans.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of National Turkey Federation.