Warm Potato, Cabbage and Kielbasa Salad
with Mustard Dressing
This meal-in-one salad can be served year-round and will satisfy the heartiest of appetites.
2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
1/3 cup white-wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
2 shallots, minced
3/4 cup olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon oil - divided use
1 1/2 pounds white rose potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch wedges
1 pound kielbasa
1/2 large head of green cabbage, cored and shredded
2 teaspoons caraway seeds
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced; include 1/2 of dark green stalks
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional garnish: sprigs of fresh parsley
- Prepare the dressing. In a small bowl combine mustard, vinegar and salt; stir to combine. Stirring constantly, add 3/4 cup oil in a thin stream. Set aside.
- Place potatoes in a large pot or Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to boil on high heat. Reduce to simmer, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add kielbasa and cook until potatoes are just tender and sausage is heated through. Remove sausage and place on cutting surface. Drain potatoes and place in large bowl. Pour 1/2 cup of dressing on potatoes and gently toss.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large pot on medium-high heat (you can use the same pot as long as no water remains). Add cabbage. Stir and cook on medium-high heat until wilted, adding a little water if needed to prevent sticking and browning, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and toss with remaining dressing and caraway seeds. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Cut sausage into 1/4-inch slices. Add sausage and green onions to potatoes. Gently toss. Taste; add salt and pepper as needed.
- Presentation: Arrange cabbage around the edge of platter. Place potato-sausage mixture in center. Garnish with Italian parsley.
Makes 6 servings.