Warm Fajita Salad
Using minimal cooking oil to stir-fry the meat and vegetables makes this easy, meal-in-a-bowl healthful.
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
3/4 pound boneless beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin, bite-size strips
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Nonstick cooking spray
2 small onions, cut into thin wedges
2 small green, red, and/or yellow sweet peppers, cut into thin strips
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 (10-ounce) package torn mixed greens (8 cups)
12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
Baked Tortilla strips (see recipe below)
Red or green salsa (optional)
- Combine lime juice, chicken broth, cilantro, garlic, and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Sprinkle beef with cumin, salt, and black pepper; toss to coat. Coat an unheated large skillet with cooking spray. Add onions and sweet peppers. Stir-fry over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove vegetables from skillet.
- Carefully add cooking oil to the skillet. Add beef strips; stir-fry about 3 minutes or until desired doneness. Push to side of the skillet.
- Stir lime juice mixture; add to skillet. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 1 minute more. Stir meat and vegetables into mixture in skillet; heat through.
- To serve, arrange greens and tomatoes on four dinner plates. Divide beef-vegetable mixture among plates. Top with Baked Tortilla Strips and serve with red or green salsa, if desired.
Makes 4 main-dish servings.
Baked Tortilla Strips: Cut two corn tortillas into 1/8- to 1/4-inch-wide strips. Place strips on a baking sheet. Coat with nonstick cooking spray. Combine 1/8 teaspoon paprika and 1/8 teaspoon chili powder; sprinkle over tortilla strips. Bake in a 400°F (205°C) oven 5 minutes. Toss; bake 3 to 5 minutes more.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): calories: 242, total fat: 12g, saturated fat: 4g, cholesterol: 57mg, sodium: 235mg, carbohydrate: 13g, fiber: 3g, protein: 22g
Recipe and photograph provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © 2003 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.