Avocado and Beef Torta
Recipe courtesy of Hass Avocados from Mexico.
1 ripe Mexican Hass avocado
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt - divided use
Pinch ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 pound flank steak
1 loaf Italian bread
1 cup torn salad greens
1 ripe large tomato, thinly sliced
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut avocado lengthwise around the pit; twist halves to separate; strike pit with a knife blade and pull to remove; scoop out pulp with a spoon; place in a small bowl.
- Mash avocado with a fork; stir in lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the red pepper; set aside.
- In a cup, combine cumin, chili powder and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Rub seasoning mixture over both sides of steak; place on a rack in a broiler pan.
- Broil steak, 2 to 3-inches from heat source, until cooked as desired (about 5 minutes on each side for medium). Remove to a cutting board; let rest for 5 minutes; cut diagonally in thin slices.
- Split bread horizontally almost through. Spread avocado mixture on top half; layer salad greens, beef and tomato on bottom of loaf; close sandwich. Cut crosswise in 4 pieces.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Hass Avocados from Mexico; mexhassrecipes.com.