Barbecued Pulled American Lamb Shank on Crusty Rolls
Recipe courtesy of the American Lamb Board.
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 American Lamb foreshanks
Salt and pepper to taste
2 yellow onions, sliced into 1/2-inch thick wedges
4 cups fat-free chicken broth
2 teaspoons dried leaf oregano leaves, crushed
3/4 cup prepared barbecue sauce
6 crusty rolls
- In large skillet, heat oil over high heat. Pat shanks dry with paper towel. Season with salt and pepper. Brown shanks on all sides. Place in a roasting pan. Add onion, chicken broth, and oregano.
- Roast at 375°F (190°C) for 2 hours turning shanks every 30 minutes.
- When meat is done, remove from broth and cool. Strain broth, reserving onions. Reserve 1/4 cup of broth. Refrigerate or freeze remaining broth for use in soups or stews.
- Remove meat from bones; shred meat removing fat.
- In pan, combine pulled lamb, barbecue sauce, and 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup reserved broth if needed. Heat, stirring to combine sauce and lamb.
- Split rolls and spoon on meat.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 510; Total Fat: 22g; Cholesterol: 135mg; Total Carbs: 33g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 45g; Sodium: 1655mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the American Lamb Board.