Bean-Bacon Sandwich with Brick Cheese
Make a meal of these hearty open-faced sandwiches. Cornbread squares are topped with hot baked beans, chopped sweet onion, crisp bacon crumbles and melted brick cheese.
1 (8.5-ounce) package cornbread mix
3 cups canned baked beans
4 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
1/4 cup sweet onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) Wisconsin Brick Cheese, shredded
- Prepare cornbread in an 8x8-inch baking pan as directed on the package. Cool.
- Divide cornbread into four 4-inch squares. Slice each horizontally. Place squares, cut side up on baking sheet. Spread with Dijon mustard.
- Meanwhile, heat beans to boiling.
- Spoon generous 1/3 cup of hot beans on each cornbread square. Sprinkle with bacon, onion and parsley. Sprinkle squares with Wisconsin Brick Cheese.
- Place under preheated broiler 1 to 2 minutes. Serve.
Makes 4 (2 square) servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.