Black Bean Flautas
Baked flautas filled and topped with chili-seasoned mashed black beans and garnished with salsa and sour cream.
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, undrained
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
12 (6-inch) flour tortillas
6 green onions, minced
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Salsa for accompaniment
Sour cream or plain yogurt for accompaniment
- In a medium saucepan, combine beans with liquid, chili powder, cumin, garlic, and bay leaf. Simmer 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Drain bean mixture, reserving liquid. Mash beans, adding liquid as needed for desired consistency.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Fill tortillas with 2 tablespoons of bean mixture and top with green onions, tomatoes and cheese. Roll up into a tube shape and place in a 9x13x2-inch pan, seam side down.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Garnish with remaining bean mixture, salsa, sour cream or yogurt.
Makes 6 servings
Recipe provided courtesy Michigan Bean Commission.