Reuben-style sandwiches with pan-seared and split brats on rye buns with Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and a creamy mustard-horseradish sauce.
1/4 cup prepared mustard
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon horseradish
1 tablespoon butter
6 bratwurst, precooked
6 rye buns
6 slices Swiss cheese
1 1/2 cups sauerkraut, heated and drained
- For Mustard Sauce: Mix the ingredients until well-blended.
- For Sandwiches: Preheat the broiler.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the bratwurst and cook over medium heat until brown (5 to 7 minutes). (To prevent piercing of the sausage casings, use tongs to turn the brats.)
- When brown, slit open the brats, place on buns, and top with the cheese slices.
- Broil the sandwiches open faced, 5-inches from the heat, for 3 to 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Top each with 1/4 cup of the sauerkraut and 1 tablespoon of the mustard sauce. Put the bun halves together and serve.
Makes 6 servings.
*Instead of making the mustard sauce, you can use bottled Thousand Island dressing.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.