Butterkase Focaccia Antipasto Sandwiches
A mouthwatering Italian-style focaccia sandwich layered with mild, buttery textured Butterkase cheese, ham, salami, marinated artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, red onion, tomato and provolone cheese.
2 (14.5-ounce) packages Italian flatbread (focaccia)
Romaine lettuce leaves
12 (1-ounce) slices thinly sliced baked ham
8 ounces Wisconsin Butterkase cheese, sliced
12 (6-ounce) slices thinly sliced salami (optional)
2 (6-ounce) jars marinated artichoke hearts, drained (reserving the marinade) and chopped
1 cup julienne-cut roasted red peppers, drained
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
8 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
- Lightly brush the top of one of the Italian flatbreads with 1 tablespoon of the reserved artichoke marinade.
- Place the bread on a serving dish, and layer with lettuce leaves, ham, cheese, salami (if desired), artichokes, peppers, onions, and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the reserved marinade, and layer with the top with provolone cheese slices.
- Brush the underside of the second Italian flatbread with the remaining marinade and place on top of the sandwich.
- With a bread knife, cut into 10 pie-shaped wedges and place a sandwich pick in each to hold in place.
Makes 10 servings.
Tip: If you can't find butterkase cheese, substitute with Havarti.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.