Cajun Beef and Bean Burritos
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 pound boneless beef top sirloin, top round steak or flank steak, cut 3/4-inch thick
3/4 cup prepared tomatillo or regular prepared salsa - divided use
1 (5 to 6.5-ounce) package Cajun rice and bean mix
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 (10-inch) medium flour tortillas, warmed
Tomatillo (green salsa) or your favorite salsa
- Cut beef steak lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick strips. Place beef and 1/2 cup salsa in medium bowl; toss to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Prepare rice and bean mix according to package directions, using 1/4 cup less water and omitting oil or margarine; keep warm.
- Meanwhile remove beef from marinade; discard marinade.
- Heat 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add 1/2 of beef; stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until outside surface of beef is no longer pink. Do not overcook. Remove from skillet. Repeat with remaining 1 teaspoon vegetable oil and beef. Season with salt.
- Return beef with juices to skillet. Add rice and remaining 1/4 cup salsa; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon 1 cup beef mixture evenly down center of each tortilla, leaving 1 1/2-inch border around edge. Fold bottom edge up over filling. Fold right and left sides to center, overlapping edges. Serve with additional salsa, as desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Tip: For colorful burritos, use flavored flour tortillas such as red pepper, tomato or spinach.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe using top round): Calories: 545; Total Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 61mg; Total Carbs: 66g; Fiber: 6g; Protein: 38g; Sodium: 1193mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.