Camembert and Crab Stuffed Filo
Hot and crispy sandwich pockets made with filo (phyllo) dough stuffed with creamy, earthy Camembert, tender succulent crab, and roasted red bell peppers.
12 (12x18-inch) fresh or frozen, thawed filo sheets
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) crab meat, Peeketoe or Dungeness
2 large egg yolks
2 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
Sea salt, as needed
Ground white pepper, as needed
12 (1-ounce) wedges Wisconsin Camembert cheese
3 red bell peppers, roasted, trimmed and seeded
- On a clean work surface lay out a filo sheet, brush with butter and top with another sheet. Fold over to create 4 layers. Repeat process with remaining sheets and butter. (You will have six 12 x 9-inch rectangles.) Keep covered.
- In a bowl, combine crab, egg yolks and cream; mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Place 2 wedges Wisconsin Camembert on the base of each filo rectangle. Top with 1/2 of a roasted pepper and 1/3 cup crab mixture. Fold filo over and seal to create a packet.
- Brush filo packet with remaining butter. Repeat process with remaining ingredients to create 6 packages.
- Place filo packages on a parchment-lined sheet pan.
- Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven 15 to 18 minutes or until golden.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.