Caprese Polenta Burgers
Inspired by the classic Italian salad, grilled rounds of polenta are topped with balsamic-glazed beef burgers, slices of fresh mozzarella, juicy red tomatoes and fresh basil.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, vitaminB12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of niacin, vitaminB6 and iron.
1 1/2 pounds 80% lean ground beef
2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 (16 to 18-ounce) package refrigerated prepared polenta, cut into 8 slices
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (8-ounce) package fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 slices
2 medium tomatoes, cut into 4 slices each
Thinly sliced fresh basil
- Bring vinegar to a boil in 2-quart saucepan. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 9 to 10 minutes or until reduced to 1/3 cup. Set aside.
- Meanwhile lightly shape ground beef into eight 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Brush polenta slices with oil.
- Place patties in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill patties, uncovered, 11 to 12 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 9 to 10 minutes), until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F (71.1°C), turning burgers occasionally and basting with 2 tablespoons reduced vinegar after turning. Arrange polenta around patties; grill 11 to 12 minutes (for gas, grill 9 to 10 minutes) or until heated through, turning once. Season burgers with salt and pepper, as desired.
- For each serving, layer 1 each polenta slice, burger, mozzarella slice and tomato slice. Drizzle with remaining vinegar and sprinkle with basil, as desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Prepared balsamic syrup, available in large supermarkets and specialty food stores, may be substituted for balsamic reduction.
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe using 80% lean ground beef): 335 calories; 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 8 g monounsaturated fat); 67 mg cholesterol; 397 mg sodium; 17 g carbohydrate; 2.3 g fiber; 27 g protein; 3.8 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 1.7 mcg vitamin B12; 2.2 mg iron; 16.1 mcg selenium; 4.3 mg zinc.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.