Chicken and Fontina Stromboli
A stromboli is a stuffed pizza roll sandwich. This tasty version is filled with shredded chicken, baby arugula, sautéed or caramelized onion, fontina cheese and served with warm marinara sauce for dipping. Recipe inspired by Chef Kristine Subido.
2 pounds, 4 ounces refrigerated prepared pizza dough
3 cups cooked chicken*, shredded
3 cups baby arugula
1 large onion, sautéed or caramelized
3 cups (12 ounces) Wisconsin Fontina cheese, shredded
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Marinara sauce, warmed for accompaniment (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Divide the dough into 6 equal round pieces. Cover with a towel and let rest while you prepare the filling.
- For filling, combine the chicken, arugula, onion and Fontina. Season to taste.
- Place a dough ball between 2 sheets of floured parchment paper. Roll into 12-by-6 inch rectangle. Repeat with remaining 5 dough balls.
- On each rectangle spread 1/6 of the filling, leaving a 1/2 inch bare border. Brush bare dough border with the egg/water mixture. Roll dough jelly-roll fashion, tucking in sides and ends to form cigar shape.
- Brush with egg/water mixture and place on baking sheets greased with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let rest 10 minutes before serving. If desired, serve with marinara sauce.
Makes 6 servings.
*You may use store-bought rotisserie chicken
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.