Chicken Tikka Burgers with Naan Bread and Raita
Recipe courtesy of the Flour Advisory Bureau.
1/2 cucumber, seeded and grated
2 teaspoons lemon juice
7 ounces Greek yogurt
5 to 6 mint leaves, finely chopped
2 cups ground chicken
1/2 cup white bread crumbs
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup tikka paste
1 medium egg, beaten
3/4 tablespoon fresh coriander, finely chopped plus few sprigs for garnish
4 plain mini naan bread to serve or a large naan sliced into 4
- For Raita: Put the grated cucumber, lemon juice, Greek yogurt and mint together in a bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt to taste, cover and place in the refrigerator.
- For Burgers: Place the ground chicken, bread crumbs, onion, tikka paste, egg and the chopped coriander into a bowl and mix well. Cover and place in the refrigerator. (Remember to wash working surfaces, cutting boards, utensils and hands after touching raw poultry.)
- When you are ready to cook the burgers, take the chicken mixture out of the refrigerator and divide it into 8 portions.
- Shape each portion into a burger with your hands.
- Preheat the grill to high, and then cook the burgers for 10 to 12 minutes turning halfway through the cooking time to ensure they are evenly cooked.
- Place naan bread on the grill for the last 2 minutes of cooking time to heat through.
- Serve the burgers with the naan bread and raita, garnished with a sprig of coriander.
Makes 4 servings.
- To remove seeds from a cucumber, cut in half lengthwise, and then scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon.
- Thaw any frozen poultry and meat products thoroughly in the refrigerator before use.
- The chicken can be replaced with ground turkey or lamb if you prefer.
- If you cannot buy ground chicken use boneless breast thighs and chop in food processor.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 448; Total Fat: 18g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Total Carbs: 36g; Fiber: 1g; Sugar: 5g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Flour Advisory Bureau.