Chipotle Sloppy Joes with Crunchy Coleslaw
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1/4 cup plain non-fat yogurt
1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups packaged coleslaw mix
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/8-inch thick strips
Ground black pepper to taste
1 pound ground beef (95% lean)
1/4 cup chopped onions
3/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 to 2 teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- For Crunchy Coleslaw: Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, pepper sauce and salt in small bowl. Add coleslaw mix and bell pepper; toss to coat. Season with black pepper, as desired. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef and onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings. Stir in ketchup, corn, beans, tomato sauce, chipotle peppers and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in cilantro, salt and black pepper.
- Place beef mixture on bottom half of each bun; top with coleslaw. Close sandwiches.
Makes 6 servings.
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef.
- Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (71.1°C).
- Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Recipe and photograph as seen in The Healthy Beef Cookbook, published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 406; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 77mg; Total Carbs: 50g; Fiber: 7g; Protein: 33g; Sodium: 1344mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.