Churrasco Steak Sandwich
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 1/2 cups lightly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
5 cloves garlic - divided use
1 boneless top sirloin steak, 1-inch thick (about 1 pound)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 medium red bell pepper, cut in half
4 hoagie rolls, split, toasted
4 slices provolone, Manchego or Chihuahua cheese
- Place parsley and 4 cloves garlic in food processor or blender container. Cover; process until finely chopped. Add lime juice, oil and salt; process just until just blended. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Mince remaining clove garlic and rub over both sides of beef steak.
- Place steak in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange bell pepper around steak.
- Grill steak, covered, 11 to 15 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 13 to 16 minutes) for medium rare (145°F | 62.7°C) to medium (160°F | 71.1°C) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Grill bell pepper 6 to 8 minutes (gas grill times remain the same), or until tender, turning occasionally.
- Carve steak into thin slices. Cut pepper halves into strips. Season beef and peppers with salt and pepper.
- To Assemble: Spread cut sides of rolls with parsley mixture. Evenly layer beef, pepper strips and cheese over parsley mixture. Close sandwich. Place sandwiches back on grill; grill, covered, 2 to 3 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 539; Total Fat: 24g; Saturated Fat: 9g; Cholesterol: 89mg; Total Carbs: 39g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 41g; Sodium: 780mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.