This sandwich is filled with the traditional flavors and ingredients of the classic Cobb salad - roasted turkey, avocado, bacon, tomato, romaine lettuce and blue cheese dressing.
12 strips bacon (about 3/4 pound total)
8 slices firm white sandwich bread
1/2 cup chunky blue-cheese salad dressing
1/2 pound cooked turkey breast, thinly sliced
1/2 large ripe Haas avocado, pitted, peeled and cut into 12 slices
1 large ripe tomato, cut into 8 thin slices
4 medium romaine leaves or other crisp lettuce
- Preheat broiler.
- Meanwhile, lay the bacon strips in a large skillet. Set the skillet over medium heat and cook, turning the bacon once or twice, until the strips are crisp, about 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Toast the bread on one side only.
- While the bread slices are still warm, spread the dressing to the edges of the uncooked side of each slice, dividing it evenly and using it all.
- Arrange the turkey over the dressing on 4 slices of the bread.
- Lay the avocado over the turkey.
- Lay the warm bacon strips over the avocado, dividing them evenly.
- Top the bacon with the tomato slices.
- Top the tomato slices with the lettuce leaves.
- Set the remaining 4 bread slices atop the lettuce, dressing side down, and press firmly with the palm of your hand to flatten slightly. With a sharp knife, cut the sandwiches in half on the diagonal and serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the American Egg Board.