Do-Ahead Minced Barbecued Chicken Sandwich
Barbecued pulled chicken sandwiches for a crowd.
12 broiler-fryer chicken quarters
1 quart apple cider vinegar
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 teaspoons onion salt
1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely-ground fresh pepper
2 bay leaves
24 round sandwich buns
1 cup Dijon mustard
- In large saucepan, mix together vinegar, chicken broth, onion salt, pepper and bay leaves. Over high temperature, bring to a boil.
- Arrange chicken in a refrigerator bowl and pour hot vinegar mixture over all. Cover and marinate in refrigerator at least 2 hours.
- Place chicken on prepared grill, skin side up, about 8 inches from heat.
- Place 2 cups of the marinade in small saucepan and bring to a boil on grill or stovetop.
- Grill chicken, turning and basting with boiled marinade every 10 to 15 minutes, about 1 hour or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease. Remove chicken from grill and let cool about 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from bone, discarding bones and skin.
- Place meat from 4 quarters at a time in food processor* and chop with off-on motion 3 or 4 times until chicken is coarsely chopped. Repeat with remaining chicken (should be about 9 cups).
- Boil remaining marinade to reduce to 1 1/4 cups; pour over minced chicken.
- Serve on buns spread with mustard. Garnish with dill pickle slice, if desired.
Makes 24 servings.
*Chop with knife if processor is not available.
Recipe provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.