East Meets West Burgers
Here's a winning taste combination: The all-American burger infused with classic Asian flavors.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onion, green part only
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 cup romaine lettuce, thinly sliced
1/4 cup shredded red cabbage
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound 95% lean ground beef
1/4 cup soft whole wheat bread crumbs
1 large egg white
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- For Sesame-Soy Mayonnaise: Combine ingredients in small bowl; refrigerate until ready to use.
- For Slaw Topping: Combine ingredients in small bowl, set aside.
- For Burgers: Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, egg white, salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Place patties on grid over medium ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 8 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 7 to 9 minutes), until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F (71.1°C), turning occasionally. About 2 minutes before burgers are done, place buns, cut sides down, on grid. Grill until lightly toasted.
- Spread equal amount of mayonnaise on bottom of each bun, top with burger. Evenly divide Slaw Topping over burgers. Close sandwiches.
Makes 4 servings.
Test Kitchen Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe using 95% lean ground beef): 348 calories; 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 7 mg cholesterol; 621 mg sodium; 26 g carbohydrate; 3.9 g fiber; 28 g protein; 6.9 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 2.1 mcg vitamin B12; 3.8 mg iron; 41.9 mcg selenium; 6.4 mg zinc.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.