Fontina-Stuffed Pretzel Bread
Baked pretzel bread sandwiches stuffed with ham, fontina cheese, sautéed onions, roasted red peppers, fresh herbs. Recipe by Chef Govind Armstrong.
1/2 cup julienned yellow onion
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/3 cup roasted red bell peppers, cut in 1/2-inch strips
2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/4 teaspoon dried
2 cups shredded fontina cheese
1 cup diced smoked baked ham
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
4 (6-inch) pretzel rolls
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a small skillet, sauté the onion in oil until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, toss the sautéed onions with the peppers, parsley, thyme, cheese, and ham. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To hollow the pretzel rolls, cut off one end and set aside.
- Using a thin-bladed knife, gently cut the center out of each bread, leaving 3/8-inch around the edge. Use a small spoon to scrape out the inside of the bread, and discard or save for another use.
- Stuff one-fourth of the filling mixture into the pretzel breads by using the end of a wooden spoon to gently push the filling into the bread. Replace the cut-off end, and wrap each bread with foil, leaving the foil open on top.
- Place the stuffed breads on a baking sheet. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until the bread is crisp and the filling is warm. Slice and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.