Fried Grouper Sandwich
Recipe courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.
4 (6-ounce) Florida grouper fillets
2 large Florida eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste
Corn meal for dredging the fish
Vegetable oil for deep-frying the fish
Florida leaf lettuce
2 Florida tomatoes, sliced thin
8 soft sandwich rolls, split
- Beat together eggs, salt and cayenne in a shallow dish.
- Place flour mixture and cornmeal in separate shallow dishes.
- Dredge each fillet in flour mixture and dip in egg wash. Dredge fillets in cornmeal last.
- In a deep fry pan, heat 1-inch of the oil to 375°F (190°C) on a deep-fat thermometer. Fry the fillets in batches for 2 to 4 minutes on each side, or until browned and cooked through. Transfer fillets to paper towels to drain.
- To serve, layer the lettuce, tomatoes, and fillets on the sandwich rolls.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 487; Calories From Fat: 279; Total Fat: 31g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Cholesterol: 108mg; Total Carbs: 43g; Protein: 9g.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.