Giant Deli Sandwich
A terrific sandwich for tailgating, potlucks, parties—and for celebrating Oktoberfest. This giant German deli-style sandwich is filled with layers of sliced Muenster cheese, assorted deli meats like ham and liverwurst, sliced tomato and dill pickle, and spread with a tasty German dressing between the layers.
1 loaf (1 pound) unsliced round bread or French bread
2 tablespoons butter, softened
8 ounces Wisconsin Muenster cheese, sliced
8 ounces sliced deli meats (ham, salami, liverwurst)
1 large tomato, sliced
1 large dill pickle, sliced lengthwise
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon coarse grained mustard
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1 1/2 tablespoons drained capers
- Cut bread into halves, horizontally. Hollow out halves, leaving shells about 3/4 inch thick. (Reserve crumbs for another use.)
- Butter cut sides of bread.
- Layer remaining ingredients, starting and ending with cheese, and spreading German Dressing between layers.
- Cut into 6 wedges and serve immediately, or wrap loaf securely in plastic or foil and pack for a picnic.
- For German Dressing: In small bowl, whisk mayonnaise, mustard and horseradish. Mix in drained capers.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.