Greek Meatball Subs
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.
4 (6 to 7-inch) soft hoagie rolls
1 1/2 pounds 95% lean ground beef
2/3 cup plain fat free yogurt
1 tablespoon Greek seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup chopped or sliced cucumber
1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
Creamy Yogurt Sauce:
1/3 cup plain fat free yogurt
2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1 1/2 teaspoons Greek seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Cut rolls in half most of the way through. Remove and reserve a strip of bread from inside of each roll half. Set rolls aside. Place bread strips in food processor container. Cover; process to form crumbs.
- Combine 1 cup bread crumbs, ground beef, 2/3 cup yogurt, 1 tablespoon Greek seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt, if desired, and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Divide beef mixture into 16 equal portions; shape into meatballs. Place on rack in broiler pan. Bake in 425°F (220°C) oven 18 to 20 minutes to medium (160°F | 71.1°C) doneness, until not pink in centers and juices show no pink color.
- Meanwhile Prepare Creamy Yogurt Sauce: Combine ingredients in small bowl. Set aside.
- To Assemble: Place 4 meatballs in each roll. Top evenly with Creamy Yogurt Sauce, tomato, cucumber and olives.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe using 95% lean ground beef): Calories: 617; Total Fat: 20g; Saturated Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 111mg; Total Carbs: 59g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 48g; Sodium: 1137mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.