Grilled Veggie Sandwich
Grilling vegetables gives them that incredible charred flavor that cannot be duplicated by any other cooking method and provides the makings of an extraordinarily delicious veggie-loaded sandwich.
8 large garlic cloves, peeled
1 teaspoon plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
2 red bell peppers, halved, seeded
4 (1/2-inch) thick eggplant slices
1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 4 slices
4 large fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
8 green onions, left whole but trimmed
2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 large whole-grain rolls, halved, toasted
1 tomato, thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place garlic on a square of foil; drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil. Wrap and bake until garlic is tender, about 35 minutes. Cool and mash garlic.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat) or preheat broiler. Grill or broil peppers, rounded side toward heat, until peppers are charred, about 10 minutes. Wrap in paper bag; let stand 10 minutes. Peel peppers. Transfer to platter.
- Arrange eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms and green onions on a baking sheet. Brush vegetables on each side with 1 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill or broil vegetables until golden and tender, turning once, about 6 minutes per side.
- Cut green onions into 2-inch pieces. Transfer vegetables to platter with peppers. Sprinkle with thyme and basil.
- Whisk vinegar and remaining 1 tablespoon oil in bowl until blended. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle dressing over vegetables.
- Spread rolls with mashed garlic, dividing equally. Top each roll with tomato slices, then roasted pepper, eggplant, zucchini, green onions and mushroom.
Makes 4 servings.