Grilled Blue Cheese and Bacon Sandwiches
Partaking of this grilled blue cheese and bacon sandwich on onion artisan bread could be construed as a casual gourmet dining experience.
1/2 cup (about 3 ounces) Wisconsin Blue cheese, crumbled
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
8 (1/2 inch thick) slices hearty onion artisan bread
2 tablespoons butter, softened
4 slices smoked bacon, cooked crisp
- In a small bowl, combine blue cheese, cream cheese, green onion and pepper; mix well.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Spread the blue cheese mixture on the non-buttered side of 4 slices of bread.
- Cut or break cooked bacon slices in half; place 2 halves on top of each blue-cheese-topped slice. Cover with remaining 4 slices of bread, buttered side out.
- Place sandwiches on an electric griddle heated to 275ºF (135ºC), or in a preheated skillet over medium heat. Cook 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until bread is golden brown, and cheese is melted.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.