Grilled Onion Cheeseburgers
A classic restaurant favorite, easily duplicated on the backyard grill — customizable with your choice of cheese.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.
1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 large white or yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
Salt and ground black pepper
4 white or whole wheat hamburger buns or Kaiser rolls, split and toasted
3 ounces crumbled or shredded cheeae (such as smoked mozzarella, goat cheese, feta, blue cheese)
- Combine ground beef, thyme and garlic in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties. Brush both sides of onion slices with oil.
- Place patties in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange onion slices around patties. Grill, covered, 8 to 10 (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 7 to 9 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F (71.1°C), turning occasionally. Grill onions 15 to 20 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally and brushing with oil. (Grilling times for onions remain the same on gas grill.) Season burgers with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Place 1 burger on bottom of each bun; top evenly with cheese and grilled onions. Close sandwiches and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef.
- Color is not a reliable indicatior of Ground Beef doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe using 80% lean ground beef): 473 calories; 26 g fat (11 g saturated fat; 11 g monounsaturated fat); 93 mg cholesterol; 568 mg sodium; 26 g carbohydrate; 1.6 g fiber; 31 g protein; 6.4 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.7 mcg vitamin B12; 3.8 mg iron; 30.1 mcg selenium; 6.2 mg zinc.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe using 95% lean ground beef): 399 calories; 17 g fat (7 g saturated fat; 7 g monounsaturated fat); 80 mg cholesterol; 592 mg sodium; 27 g carbohydrate; 1.7 g fiber; 33 g protein; 7.2 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg vitamin B12; 4.2 mg iron; 32.4 mcg selenium; 6.4 mg zinc.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.