Grilled Prawn Sandwiches with Asiago Cheese
Sandwiches made with asiago cheese-topped slices of grilled sourdough bread filled with sautéed jumbo prawns, sweet onion, tomato, lettuce and a dollop of garlic mayonnaise.
6 jumbo prawns, shelled and deveined
4 thin slices Walla Walla onion or other sweet onion
4 thin slices sourdough bread, sliced on the diagonal
2 ounces Wisconsin Asiago cheese, thinly sliced
2 romaine lettuce leaves
4 thin slices ripe tomato
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
Hot pepper sauce, to taste
- In medium skillet sauté prawns in small amount of oil just until opaque, turning once; remove from heat and set aside. In same skillet sauté onions in small amount of oil until limp and lightly browned; set aside.
- Spread one side of the bread slices with butter. Place buttered sides down on griddle or in sauté pan. Top with cheese. Cook over medium-low heat until bottom of bread is toasted and cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, halve prawns lengthwise.
- Assemble sandwiches by layering onions, prawns, lettuce and tomato slices on two of the cheese-topped bread slices. Dollop with Garlic Mayonnaise and cover with remaining bread, cheese sides down. Halve and serve.
- For Garlic Mayonnaise: Mix together all ingredients.
Makes 2 servings.
Tip: French or Italian bread can be substituted for sourdough bread.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.