Ham and Cheese Frenchie
A tasty version for the classic Monte Cristo sandwich, a ham and cheese sandwich, dipped in an egg mixture and grilled like French toast—hence the play on the recipe's name. In keeping with the theme, dust the sandwich with a bit of powdered sugar, if desired.
12 slices whole wheat bread
4 tablespoons butter, softened
6 slices New England style ham, bologna or luncheon meat
6 (1-ounce) slices Wisconsin cheddar cheese
3 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
Dash of salt
- Spread bread with butter.
- Prepare sandwiches of ham, bologna or luncheon meat, and cheese.
- Beat together eggs, milk and salt.
- Dip sandwiches in egg mixture.
- Grill on lightly buttered griddle on medium heat until toasty and cheese begins to melt. Turn and brown on other side.
- Serve hot.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.